I don’t even know the last time I blogged. It’s been a HELLacious summer around here. I’ll spare you the details but briefly, in May, my grandfather died. Then in June, my MIL was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. She had surgery in July and just started chemo treatments. So far, so good but cancer, man. That’s why my grandfather died. Then, last week, one of our cats died. 2 nights ago one of the black and white cats bit the shit out of my finger. I didn’t think anything of it at the time but the next morning, my finger was all swollen. $45 later, I had 2 shots, 2 antibiotics and a steroid.
I applied for a full time job (didn’t get it) and a part time job (didn’t get it) and acquired another adjunct teaching job at another community college in the area. So I’m now teaching this:
Mondays: Humanities, Ancient and Medieval Philosophy, 2 yoga classes and a night Humanities class
Tuesdays: Eastern Studies and Intro to Philosophy; Group Power
Wednesdays: Humanities, Ancient and Medieval, 1 yoga and Bootcamp
Thursdays: Eastern and Intro; Bootcamp
Fridays: Power Yoga and Ancient and Medieval
I had to give up a few classes at the Y so I’m hoping (GOING) to add more running. Fall is almost here and I really miss a good run — I haven’t done much in ages mostly because I was teaching like 9 classes a week at the Y and my whole body hurt. I think that teaching more academic classes will be a good thing — my workouts can actually mean something and I will enjoy planning them again — I was seriously getting burnt out.
I’ll try to stick around, share some workouts :) in the meantime, here’s some photos of some fun things that we did during the summer
last monday was the last time i taught a class – how weird! back at it tomorrow – Beginner Bootcamp & Tabata
warm up — jog, lunges, etc @5min
- push ups
- mt climbers
- jump rope
- jump rope 1 leg
- side planks
- high knees
- butt kicks
- turbo lunges
- rev plank leg lifts
WAR song (?) –> I’m previewing 2 songs Wed so I thought I’d get in a little practice during class. It’s a kickboxing class all choreographed like Group Power. The good part of this is that it’s pre-planned. The bad part is that choreography does NOT come easily to me so it takes me forever to learn a new routine. Currently learning both WAR #5 and Jan ’14 Group Power. ack.
abs — possibly the WAR track as well.
I’m TOTALLY over growing out my hair. Going to call my girl tomorrow and hopefully get a cut this week. YES!
tabata: — chair, heavy db, mb
- jog / forward lunges / jog / side lunges
- db swings
- slow plank jacks push up/fast plank jacks
- wall balls
- step up to OH press (chair) –> step up R, OH press L then switch next round
- knee tucks on chair / side plank hip lifts on chair
supposed to be nice outside tomorrow (blech. december in the south. snows on thanksgiving, 60 degrees in december). anyway, all this can be done outside so that’s where we’ll be in addition to some running!
We keep looking for a way out. What if this IS exactly where we’re supposed to be?
- warm up: 30 sec ea: jog in place, high knees, lateral hops, butt kicks, jacks, x2 + stretch
- round 1 (45/15): holding db, tiny jump squat / prone on step, db between feet, hamstring curl –> 3x through
- round 2: 7 min AMRAP –> 20 lunges — db seal jacks — burpees — jump rope — rev lunge w/ pull — forward/back X squat — burpees –> when time is up 1 min wall sit
- round 3: 10 box jumps – 10 db swings x3 + 45 sec ea
- round 4: 10 seconds of each, 4x: mt climbers, burpees, push ups, star jacks
- round 5: snatch (5 each arm) – 10 db pass through lunge
- round 6: repeat round 4
Finish: Isometric HELL –> 30 sec ea
- plank – starfish – plank – starfish – table top or rev plank – prisoner squat hold – crescent lunge R/L – wall sit lat hold – lunge bicep hold – plank L arm to side/R – elbow side plank hip dips R/ – v sit – elbow L – plank – hover – swimmers – end with 2 min wall sit lat hold
shake it out– one final repeat of round 4 (?)
class tomorrow (wed) will likely be shorter – anyone got a good 45 min bootcamp type workout? i don’t want to cut the work part but there’s an overlap with the instructor of the next class — so i need some good 45 min that feel like an hour (or you’re glad it’s not) workouts! :)
- Bootcamp, Baby!!! (blameherpersonaltraining.com)
- Bootcamp Workouts (mademan.com)
Funny story: guy has been coming to class for months. he asked last week or so if there were other morning classes [because there isn't a HUGE schedule posted outside on the wall . . . ] so i directed him to the am bootcamp classes on T/R. he loved the class – fabulous BUT [i cannot even tell you how much this annoys me] he told a mutual friend that the T/R class he went to was SO MUCH HARDER and he never gets a workout like that in my class.
can we talk about something: what does BEGINNER bootcamp mean to you? to me, it means, “geared towards those just starting out or returning to exercise after an extended absence.” Therefore, all workouts are designed with that in mind. While there are participants who have been taking the class for a while, most fall into the definition above. I keep the instruction low impact while offering ways to modify up or down — my thought is that dude is not working as hard as he could be, for one thing, and also does not realize he’s in a beginner class.
anyway, it’s annoying.
But on to the workout:
warm up (blow me)
- circuit 1 (whistle): push ups x12 – wall sits w/ bicep curls x12 – stability ball crunch x15
- circuit 2 (gangnam style): db row x 15 – lunge w/ lat raise x10 – supermans x15
- circuit 3 (good time): push ups x15 – squats x12 – plank x30s
- circuit 4 (one more night): chest press on ball x10 – wedding move x12 – oblique crunch on ball x10
- circuit 5 (as long as you love me): dips x10 – dead lifts x10 – criss cross x20
- repeat circuit 1 (without you) & circuit 3 (idealistic) –>depending on time?
cool down/stretch (hello)
tabata: equipment needed: mat and step
- curtsey lunges to sumo squat R/L
- suicide plank with plank jack
- abs: toe touch / reach through
- plank jack burpees / plank pendulum
- pendulum lunge up and over step
- squat jumps / pop squats with hand tap to floor
Princess Tinkerbell Snowflake
- Crossfit Tabata (frontdivefitness.wordpress.com)
- TRY IT OUT TUESDAY…tabatas (fitgirldiaries.com)
- Tabata, Coffee & Co. (healthyisawesome.wordpress.com)
i’m telling you why: i didn’t run saturday. there is a lot going on in our lives right now that i’m not going to go into here so suffice to say saturday just wasn’t the day for me to run. i ended up going to to gym and doing this circuit:
- 500 meter row — 30 push ups — 1000 meter row – 20 push ups – repeat
- .12 mile run — 50 lunges — 25 squats – i was not going to do 3 circuits but ran into a friend and ended up talking for a few minutes.
then i went to yoga. it was beginner which isn’t exactly what i wanted but i’m not likely to be able to do yoga at my house and that’s all that was offered yesterday. so.
finally got a schedule change — i am teaching a class at the college MWF from 11:20-12:20 which is during the time i teach Pilates on Wednesdays. When I found out about this schedule conflict i told my supervisor who said remind me in december. the easiest solution was to just back up the class an hour but nothing is easy, right? long story short, starting in Jan Pilates will be at 9:30 am on Wed. I also picked up a Group Power class at the other facility on Tuesdays at 5:30 and am going to shorten my Tues bootcamp class to a 30 min HIIT class.
Teaching schedule this week:
Monday: beginner bootcamp/tabata
Friday: subbing Group Power, maybe yoga
Saturday: some kind of crossfit on my own & yoga
After Monday’s burpee fest, I promised class that there would be no more burpees this week. LOL.
Y’all ever heard of GPP fitness? It’s pretty awesome — crossfit type workouts. did one sat and it was AWESOME! Going to adapt one for bootcamp tomorrow!
EMOM = every minute on the minute
basic warm up (jacks – squats – lunges – t push, etc)
- 10 HEAVY db thrusters EMOM during this circuit — whatever we’re doing, every minute on the minute, stop and do 10 thrusters
- 3 min prisoner squats with holds
- 3 min plate switches
- 1 min rest
Circuit 2: Shoulders – 2 rounds — on my count:
- 20 front raises 15/20#
- 20 upright row 15/20#
- 20 OH press 15/20#
Circuit 3: Triceps – 2 rounds
- 10 tricep push-ups
- 20 skull crushers 15/20#
- 20 OH tricep extension 15/20
Circuit 4: Abs – 2 rounds
- 20 situps
- 20 R side ups — side plank hip ups
- 20 L side ups
- 20 Superman back ext’s
Circuit 5: Legs -2 rounds
- 20 BTB squats — hold squat at bottom, below parallel, up on my count
- 20 jump lunges
- 20 alt single leg deadlift 15/20#
Finisher: repeat circuit 1
- 20 v-ups
- 20 side plank hip dips R
- 20 side plank hip dips L
- 20 superman back ext
- 20 tap down crunches — bent knee toe taps + crunch
- 20 sec bridges